Aria League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Aria League

Welcome to the Aria League!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Houndoom's Run in OU [XY Peak around 1650]

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Megacrazy

Megacrazy

Anyways, I'd like to start of the rmt'ing with a team I made a few months back that I had a lot of fun building and playing. While its far from the best team (and has yet to be revised with ORAS in mind) its certainly an interesting one to play and I do hope this can start some interesting discussion. The background for team building is that in 5th gen I mained Sun teams and due to the weather nerf the only weathers that one sees in OU are Sun and Sand. To put it bluntly, this bored me so I decided to return to my roots per say and create a sun team around the sun mega, Mega Houndoom. Before one dismisses this team, please do keep in mind that I never expected it to even be mildly succesful and mid ladder for Sun in this meta is decently succesful.

Houndoom (M) @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The star of our show, Mega Houndoom. The power brought by Solar Power, should not be ignored as Fire Blast does 34.1 - 40.1% to Chansey in the sun and after a Nasty Plot this becomes 67.7 - 79.9%, both decent bites out of the pink blob. Against Cleric Sylveon we get: 252 SpA Solar Power Mega Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 36 SpD Sylveon in Sun: 331-391 (84 - 99.2%) which makes a likely KO after Stealth Rocks. Usually if its in on something slower and offensive or physically defensive, Mega Houndoom will have a field day tearing apart its opponent. It also gets numerous chances to come in off the voltturn core of the team as well, making it a potent sweeper.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Lando-T is a Pokemon that many people sing high praises of, and for good reason as it can run several different sets. While I usually run an Assault Vest set, here I run lefties with Stealth Rock because its a pretty wonderful Stealth Rocker. Its Earthquake does an amazing job smacking Heatran around for Mega Houndoom and after it sets up Rocks it can always U-Turn out, hopefully into Mega Houndoom or another member to handle the threat. Knock Off is for any bulky Psychic types that might try to bother me.

Ninetales (F) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast
- Hypnosis
- Psyshock

Ninetales, while far from amazing is not actually bad. Its ability to set up Sun and fire of a Hypnosis allows for set up oppurtunites from Mega Houndoom while its other moves are meant for power. Fire Blast gets an additional fifty percent boost in the sun meaning that if its unresisted the target will get hit pretty hard. Solarbeam is for any Rotom-Wash switch ins that may want to try to bother me and Psyshock is to damage things harder if they are Specially Defensive.

Scizor (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Atk / 156 Def
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

What we have here, is Defog Scizor. Personally, I like Scizor as a defogger because unlike a lot of other defoggers it doesn't compound any Rocks weaknesses. The point of the set is to stay alive, hence all the bulk, and to revenge with Bullet Punch, hence the 100 Attack EVs. Ideally after defogging one would UTurn out but if necessary one could hard switch. Roost guarantees your health as well.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

RWash keeps any fire types who can trouble Scizor down. The set you see here is kind of standard but it does help against Heatrans and Volt Switch is always a good move and helps complete both a VoltTurn core and a FWG core.

Chesnaught (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Leech Seed
- Hammer Arm/Drain Punch (ORAS addition)
- Wood Hammer

Chesnaught is another interesting mon I put on. Part of its purpose is to complete the FWG core of Ninetales/RWash/Grass and it also serves well with Ninetales for another reason: Its hammer arm is a hard stop to Sand Offense- namely Tyrannitar and Excadrill. Spiky Shield is a more improved protect and Leech Seed combos with it to take away health from your opponents while aslo guaranteeing more health to you. Like wise, Bullet Proof is an amazing ability that you'll see a lot of OU players forget about. Its arch enemy bird spam can be handled between Rotom Wash and even Lando-T, making it more useful for the team. Unfortunately I could not fit Spikes on it because of 4mss but if one wants to run it with Spikes its certainly an option if you can make sure the opponent's hazard setter is down so you won't defog them away on yourself.

Threats:
Greninja: It outspeeds Mega Houndoom although if you can get it to lock itself into Ice Beam Scizor can revenge it and Rotom-Wash can generally do a decent job handling it.
Politoed: Rain in general is a pretty big threat and if you see Politoed you have to continually limit its ability to switch in.

Conclusion:
This team is a fun team to play, utilizing Sun, VoltTurn and FWG balance along with multiple status. Its worth giving a try if you have some free time and I hope you guys have fun with it.

Fortune

Fortune
Room Moderator
Room Moderator

nice team, interesting take on sun in this generation.

chesnaught seems a little bit out of place on the team. i understand it's purpose is to complete the FWG core and deter ttar and exca, but i feel like other mons could do chesnaughts role better while adding more of an offensive prowess as well as keeping momentum.

have you ever considered running a chlorophyll sweeper?

i think this would be a nice addition

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 72 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Fire]

the evs may seem weird but with them you can live adamant ice shard from mamo and outpace base 110 scarfers which is all you really need.

good luck :]][][[][][][][][]

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum